Managing Attorney – Clancy P.C.
Paula has over 23 years of experience as a corporate/commercial and trademark lawyer. From 1994 to 2008 she worked at one of Canada’s largest firms, which was consistently rated as the Top IP Firm in Canada. She founded Clancy P.C. in 2008. Her background in both business and intellectual property law is a valuable asset to her clients.
Paula is fluent in both Spanish and French. She has a significant local practice, where her clients range from start-ups and SMEs, to publicly-traded companies. In 2008, Paula was awarded the Ottawa Business Journal’s Top Forty Under 40 award. She was also nominated and selected as a finalist for the Businesswoman of the Year Award (2014). More recently, she was featured in Distinctive Women Magazine and won the Entrepreneur of the Year Award (2017). She has been ranked for seven consecutive years (2011 – 2018) among the world’s leading trademark practitioners by World Trademark Reporter’s Top 1000 (WTR 1000) publication. Clancy P.C. has also been recognized as one of Canada’s top trademark firms in the WTR1000. Paula is also on Onscope’s 100 Most Active Agents in Canada list.
Paula has been elected to serve on Council for the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC). She currently also serves as Chair of the International Trademark Association’s (INTA) Public Information Committee, and is a member of IPIC’s Trademark Practice and Indigenous IP Committees. She is also a Director for the Children’s Aid Foundation of Ottawa and is currently on the Advisory Council for SOS Children’s Villages (Canada).
In the past, Paula has served as the Co-Chair of INTA’s North America Global Advisory Council (2016-2017), Chair of IPIC’s International Trademark Issues Committee (2017-2018), Canadian National Delegate for the Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI) (2012-2015), Chair of INTA’s Advertising and Related Rights Subcommittee, Chair of IPIC’s Sole and Small Practice Network, President of ASIPI’s Social Action Committee, and Director and Secretary of SOS Children’s Villages (Canada) (2008-2015).
Paula enjoys skiing and scuba diving with her husband and six children. She is, above all, a proud and devoted mom.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- Called to the Ontario Bar 1996
- J.D. (Law), University of Toronto, 1994
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent, 2005
- Advanced Trademark Practitioner’s Course and Copyright Course, McGill University
- IPIC – “Registrability” – September – December 2012
- IPIC – “Trademark Prosecution from Filing to Approval”, April – June 2012
- IPIC – “Trademark Fundamentals and Likelihood of Confusion”, October – December 2011
- IPIC – “Beyond the Basics”, March – May 2011
- IPIC – “Opposition”, October – December 2009
- B.A. (With Distinction), Wilfrid Laurier University and Université de Nice, France
COMMITTEES & LEADERSHIP
- IPIC Council, Member
- INTA Public Information Committee (2018-2019 term), Chair
- IPIC Trademark Practice Committee, Member
- IPIC Indigenous IP Committee, Member
- AIPPI, Canadian Trademarks Committee, Member
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, PUBLICATIONS
- IPIC Annual General Meeting, October 12, 2018 – Moderator: “Brexit Update – CITMA Perspective”, with Tania Clark, President of the UK Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys.
- IPIC Webinar, Ottawa, Ontario, August 23, 2018 – Moderator: “General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) – What it Means for Canadian Businesses”.
- McGill Faculty of Continuing Education – Understanding Trademarks – An Introductory Course, July 24, 2018 – Lecturer: “The Basics of Trademark Use in Canada”.
- Genuine Trademark Use, author of Canada Chapter published by Kluwer (AIPPI) in 2018.
- Getting the Deal Through: Trademarks 2017, author of Canada Chapter.
- IPIC Webinar, Ottawa, Ontario, March 30, 2016 – Moderator: “EU Trademark Reform and Nice Class Headings – What Canadian Owners of EU Trademarks Need to Know”.
- Getting the Deal Through: Trademarks 2016, author of Canada Chapter.
- “Clancy and McKay on Intellectual Property” Lecture Series, The Commons Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, November 6, 2015 – Presenter: “Changes to Canada’s Trademark Regime and Their Impact on Canadian Brand Owners”.
- “Practice Management for the Female Lawyer” Lecture Series, The Commons Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, January 29, 2015 – Presenter: “Thoughts on Going Solo or Small”.
- Getting the Deal Through: Trademarks 2015, author of Canada Chapter.
- “Intellectual Property Exploitation and Enforcement in Canada” Lecture Series, The Commons Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, October 20, 2014 – Presenter: “Drafting Trademark License Agreements – A Practical Guide”.
- IP Law Lecture Sprott School of Business, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario – September 25, 2014 – Presenter: “Trademark Law Basics”.
- ASIPI XVIII Congress, Punta del Este, Uruguay – December 4, 2012 – Presenter: “Profesion y Calidad de Vida”.
- IPIC Webinar, Ottawa, Ontario – November 28, 2012 – Moderator: “Bytes, Borders and Buy-In: Building a (Nearly) Paperless IP Office”.
- IP Law Lecture Sprott School of Business, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario – November 15, 21012 – Presenter.
- Lead to Win Phase II: Opportunity Development, Ottawa, Ontario – October 31, 2012 – Presenter: “Business Aspects of Intellectual Property”
- IP Law Lecture Sprott School of Business, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario – March 1, 2012 – Presenter: “An Entrepreneur’s Overview of Intellectual Property”.
- IPIC Webinar, Ottawa, Ontario – October 26, 2011 – Presenter: “Achieving Work-Life Balance”.
- LSUC CPD Seminar – September 2011 – Presenter: “Review of Critical Case Law in Patents and Trademarks”.
- Web Essay in Thomson Brandy (Japan) on Bases for Canadian Trademark Applications – July 2011.
- IP Law Lecture, Sprott School of Business, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario – March 10, 2011 -Presenter: “An Entrepreneur’s Overview of Intellectual Property”.
- ASIPI Conference, Santiago, Chile – November 2010 – Moderator: Women’s Committee Breakfast featuring Chilean Minister Carolina Schmidt.
- IPIC Young Practitioners Committee Webinar, Ottawa, Ontario – June 2010 – Presenter: “A Yen For Euros and Pesos: Doing Business Abroad”.
- ASIPI Conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – November 2006 – Presenter: “Universal and Sporting Symbols” Roundtable.
- Women in Law Conference, Ottawa, Ontario – October 2006 – Panelist: “Managing Emotions in the Practice of Law”.
- ASIPI Conference, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – November 2004 – Presenter: “Panel de Arbitraje”.
- Legal Drafting Workshop, Ottawa, Ontario – January 2000 – Presenter: “Behind and Beyond Boilerplate”.
- Director, Children’s Aid Foundation of Ottawa
- Member, Advisory Council SOS Children’s Villages (Canada)
- Reviewer, Lead to Win (Lead To Win is an award winning business development program with the objective to establish and grow business in Canada’s National Capital Region)
- Fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- The Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club